I just came from a walk in the awful heat and I just wanted to share with you what I saw today. Nonam helps us here with our chickens and garden and covers when Geslin is off on Sunday's. Today he took me to meet his family.
Nonam does not live next door as I thought but a ways down the street and so we walked down the main road and then up the windy narrow path surrounded by cactus to his families homes. His wife and children, brothers and sisters and his cousins all live there. Not a house has a decent roof and the older family home is falling down. It gives the Leaning Tower of Pisa a run for it's money. They took me in and paper bags were stuffed in the holes to keep the rain out. Across from this home was another in better shape but not finished. Most of the roof was not on yet and what was on was made of old rust roofing and leaked.
Nonam had a home partially built for his family but the roof was not on yet. It has stood this way for 8 years. I asked Geslin what it would cost to finish this home. To add the roof and it would cost about$1500. American dollars. So little but way more than I can afford to do. The three houses surround a courtyard where we have decided will be a great place to have a small group. (which will be a very big group) for Bible Study and worship. So many of the people here do not go to church because they do not have clothes to wear to church. So we are starting a come as you are service. I have asked Damas a young man who is attending Seminary with our help to come and help with the study and He has agreed. This will be a great experience for him.
As I was leaving I found out in the same area lives Mdm. Joseph. She worked at the Holiday House with me and also another family that works for 4VEH. We shared our plan with them and they were so excited. I know this puts me in a position where I will be constantly begged for money and expose me to a lot of people, but I did not come here to hide behind the walls of my home or the walls surrounding it. I came here to serve a God who loves people and I want to share my love for him. It has been a good day. Jane
No comments:
Post a Comment