School:
School began Oct 1 and I teach 3 days a week at two different schools. I teach at Grace Zion, where I teach English
to all grades and Art to grades 1-4. I
also teach English for grades K-3 at Madam Jonathan's School. I used to work with her at Starfish
Kids. It amazes me how much the older
kids have picked up since last year.
They love to learn and they make teaching fun. Some of the younger kids (the 3 and 4 year
olds) are still having adjustment problems.
There is a lot of crying at least through part of the morning. We are still having problems with teaching in
the dark when the government electricity is not working. A team is looking into how we can solve this
problem and then comes finding a way to fund it. The kids are such a delight and I love
working with the teachers at Grace Zion.
They are so dedicated.
English School:
Class at Grace Zion school for adults will
begin in November. I will be teaching
two days a week and helping with an English Speaking service. Pastor James will be teaching two day
opposite of me. We will be trying a new way of teaching English. I want to try
teaching it the same way I teach it to the children.
Friday Bible Class.
Pastor Joel and I began a Bible study in an
area which is part of Haut de Cap. Some
of the people who live in that area wanted to do Evangelizing. After two weeks of Bible Study we had several
come forward for prayer and one to accept Jesus. Now they want to have a church service. They already have begun to make a church
building for themselves. The walls are
bamboo and the roof will be a tarp. They
want to invite people to come there in whatever clothing they have to
wear. That is wonderful. I am anxious to see where this will go.
Saturday Morning Kids Bible Club;
Every other
Saturday morning we have Bible Club at the orphanage and children from outside
the orphanage come as well. They are
also accompanied by their mothers. The
theme this month has been Jesus loves the little children. Saturday I explained the plan of
salvation. I was watching the children
when one of the mothers raised her hand and told me she needed Jesus. What a morning one child who is new to the
orphanage, 3 mothers and the security guard all accepted Jesus. What a blessing. We were all celebrating.
Orphanage;
The children
continue to get healthier and healthier from eating better. Support for the
feeding the kids has been slow coming in but we have continued to feed the children each month what we can. The landlord sold his house and so
he wants to move into the orphanage building.
That made it urgent to find another house for the kids. Our budget is tight but a fund raising golf
tournament in Canada had provided us with money for rent for the old
house. We set out with that amount of
money for rent. We did find a house that
was much better for the kids but after the landlord agreed to give us the house
for the same rent he changed his mind and raised the rent to a place where we
could not afford to live there. We
looked a several more houses and God has blessed us with a beautiful house. It
has three bedrooms 2 ½ baths. Running water, EDH which is public
electricity. Kitchen, dining room,
living room and a guard house. I cannot
believe the kids will get to live there.
It is about 15 min from my house so I will not see the kids as often as
I did when they lived next door. The rent is higher and so we need to make it a
matter of prayer. Praise the Lord we received a gift from a church through a visiting team which helped us make the deposit to hold the house. We also need to buy
more beds. Because of the size of the
house we are in now, kids share beds.
Some of the kids are getting pretty big.
We can buy Bunk Beds from another orphanage for $300 US and that
includes mattresses. They are strong and
big enough grownups can sleep on them. This
is also a matter of prayer. Other things are needed but not critical like
chairs for the living room and I would love to see a basketball hoop. By the
time we pay for food and transportation for school and give a little money to
the workers who volunteer we are pretty stretched. The kids will move in in December or January.
Sammy
I wish I
could say Sammy adoption is going well but it is not and we may have to make
some tough decisions. I have asked the
family in the states to pray about it.
Sammy adoption is actually illegal because of the new laws and the government
would have to make a special exception to allow Sammy to have a private adoption. Others have told us that it is a slim chance
of that happening even though we have been lead to believe it is possible. Sammy is a sweet dear child but he is going
through the terrible twos and he thinks everything should go his way. We are working on that. Some days it is challenging and at our age
exhausting but we love him very much.
Please pray for Sammy and his future.
And direction for all of us. He is
talking more and more everyday. We are
amazed and what he understands in both English and Creole.
Bud
Bud continues
to work with MFI and Life Water . He also tries to be available to help other
ministries as well. He loves his new
depot and so do I. Our little house has
gotten so much bigger since he moved his stuff into the depot. We also have room for small teams to stay
with us now. Bud has also been teaching our security guard mechanics, electrical
and plumbing. Juslian has never really
had a dad in his life so he is loving spending time with Bud. Bud is a good teacher. I showed a video at school yesterday and
since I know little about the generator Juslain went to school with me and took
care of that part for me.
Building Schools,
I continue
to work with Joy and Hope of Haiti doing bookkeeping for them as they build
schools here in Haiti. I also sit on the board of Stella House Orphanage
helping them to make wise decisions on money and what is best for the
kids. Joy and Hope builds schools for
churches but have no one on the ground here full time to oversee projects that
are run by Haitians. I love helping the
two groups work together and to understand each other. One of the things God has shown me here is
that I have the ability to help Haitians who have been given leadership responsibilities
here by other missions to grow and do their jobs well. I love helping them to take charge. We should all be teaching the Haitians to lead
and we act as advisors. Someday we won’t be here and they will need to carry
on. Empower Global and Joy and Hope of Haiti also have brought in some food for
schools and orphanages and I help with getting the food to the people.
Working together
No matter
what my jobs or Bud’s jobs are we work together to help each other and I know I
could not do what I do without Bud helping me. Sammy tries to help as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment