I just
finished a book I am disappointed that it ended. It is a book called Love Does by
Bob Goff. It is a collection of short
stories from his life and what he is doing in ministry now. He says he is using
his job as a lawyer as a fund raiser for his real job.
One of the things
he wrote really struck home for me. He
said our goal should be to be awesome in anything God asked us to do. That does not mean great at everything but
that we do it in a way that reflect the awesomeness of the one we serve. I like that after all, we are just his
helpers. I like that title better than missionary. “ God’s little helper”. When our children help most of the time they
really work hard to do it just the way we would, at least when they are
small. Sammy tries so hard to do
everything I do. When he walks with a glass of water it sloshes from side to
side and he can really make a mess but as his mom right now I encourage him to
keep going and praise his efforts. His
main goal is to please me and show me that he is growing more and more every day. When he finishes he feels AWESOME because he
sees his success in my eyes and that I am pleased with him. That is how I want to feel at the end of my
day. That I did an AWESOME job in God’s eyes. That He sees my effort to obey
him, and walk with him through the whole thing.
It does not mean I will not fail. It means that God will be please that
He sees my growth in all that I do.
This month I
have had the opportunity to help in different ways, none of them big but all of
them rewarding in their own way. I
helped to organize receipts and get reports done for another ministry. I helped a Pastor lay out plans for an
evangelizing campaign he wants to start.
I helped a sick child from the orphanage. I did not do much just give him some Tylenol and
gave him a kiss on the forehead. That
always seems to help. I drove a small
team from Joy and Hope of Haiti around and helped them get information they needed. They build schools here and I get to help
them with the bookkeeping. I sat in on a meeting and tried to help two different cultures understand each other and resolve some misunderstands. I helped a
friend who was tired and feeling, a little "over whelmed” fold her laundry. I helped a group of children in a Bible club
learn that Jesus loves them. I helped a former student with his English
. I am trying to mentor a young man, having him help me which gives me time to
disciple him. This young man has been
like a son to us. I helped pay a bill at
the Seminary for a student we sponsor. I got to love on a lots of
kids and Haitian friends.
I sat and
listened to a young Haitian married
couple argue about a problem they are having and tried to share God’s truth
with them. I delivered food to hungry
kids. I met with a lawyer trying to work
on Sammy’s adoption and helped another missionary to do the same. I help others
with medical bills, drove a child with a broken leg to the hospital and tried
to comfort the family. I know there are
lots of little I things I have missed but as you can see none of these things
were earth shattering. Just little
things that I tried to do in a way that God would think my effort to please Him
was awesome. Tomorrow it starts again
another week. Next week I start teaching
school at Grace Zion. My prayer is Lord
help me to be awesome in the way I serve you by helping these kids. Not for me but so they will see how AWESOME
you are.
No comments:
Post a Comment