Monday, January 18, 2010

Use whatever gifts God has given to serve.

As you can see we have claimed a verse in 1Peter 4:10-11 as our verse. Little did we know how many of our gifts God would ask us to use. We knew that maintenance and helping others would be part of it but we did not know about all the others. For the past few months we have been praying for strength in unity among our team that the Lord would draw us together in one accord. We had no idea how much we would need that. Last night I stayed up studying language, I am working on medical terms. My background as a paramedic, I believe it, will be one of the talents God is going to ask me to use. Already God has asked me to use my ability to plan events for large groups of people. Several Missions are sending teams and family members home. Because of the situation they need to fly out of Cap Haitian. We have become a rescue mission for those traveling through. Yesterday Bud, The team, and I set up beds for 25 people plus we have guest rooms in the missionaries homes. Our Haitian staff has been a wonderful asset to us and so good about responding on a moments notice. Today we have a lot of sheets and towels to wash. We have 45 guest on the compound right now. Sometimes God urges us to do things and we think it is our own idea. Saturday I decided I would make a lot of Spaghetti Sauce and freeze it so I could have some meals ahead. I also baked several loaves of bread. That evening we received a call asking us to take in 38 people. Our Haitian staff is off on Sunday and they had not prepared food for this many people. So guess what they had for supper. All the missionaries here are working many long hours. With the Internet down most of the time it has made it difficult for us to communicate with our loved ones and that is so hard. Our neighbor has been sharing their phone with all of us. I am not including pictures because it takes to much band with on our Internet and we are sharing with the radio station. Yesterday in church, we stood with the Haitians and sang "It is well with my Soul". Tears streamed down my face as I looked around the room. Not one person in the room was not affected by this terrible tragedy. Yet they stood hand in hand singing from their hearts. This country is so small and it will effect so much. The worship in Port and here in Cap has not stopped. Missionaries from OMS have been working here for over 50 years, trying to build a strong and healthy church among this nation. I wish all those who answered the call of our Lord to serve here could see this. All their prayers and labor were not in vain. The church here in healthy and through this trial and tribulation their faith is strong and others are coming to Christ because of it. Miracles are happening everyday. God is faithful and He is here working in Haiti. The Christians here have been praying for a new beginning. It may be here. Our prayer request are for the gift of language, endurance, patience, grace for each other and to always be available for our brothers and sisters. The Haitians need to talk, there are so many questions. They need good strong Christian council and the Lords strength to go on. Pray for wisdom for us from our Lord and His strength for all of us. Pray that we will have good discernment as to what to do next and pray for Brett, Joetta, and Mary Lou our leaders in this crisis. They are doing an amazing job. God bless you, we sure are.

1 comment:

Bryan said...

Be sure we are praying for you all and wishing we could do so much more. Bryan Hawkins, Salem Il.