Saturday, January 30, 2010
Hello from Port
I am presently in Port with a small clinic we have set up here to help in a small community of about 1,000 families. Most of the people are living in tents made of bedsheets. Many of their homes are standing but are badly damaged and not safe to stay in. 1,220 patients were seen this past week and 198 came to the Lord. Many others rededicated their lives. We did not hear a lot of questions like "Why did God let this happen?" but more of "Praise God He saved me". At night we do not hear riots and fighting, we hear worship services and people praising God. I have not heard any voodoo drums. Many of the things we see in the clinic are simple but I recognize that parents need to hear that their children are okay. Our clinic is on top of a mountain and we have the most beautiful view of the city and the ocean. As I sit there unwinding from an exhausting day, I like to spend that time sharing my feelings with God. They are so mixed, from feeling of joy to feeling of helplessness. At the beginning of the year a question was presented to me as to what humanly impossible thing would I ask God to do this year. I know now what it is. God is ever faithful and we are counting on it more and more each day. I am feeling totally dependent on him for my future here. Today we walked down the streets of Port. Everywhere we looked we saw destruction. Some buildings looked fine until be got up close and could see they were cracked like eggs. We saw one body still pinned in the rubble. The people are so hungry. There is food everywhere but they have no money to buy it. Those who had jobs no longer have them. Those hit the hardest are the children and the elderly. One blessing God gave me this week is I got to feed a newborn close to death, everyday and watch the child improve. He was suffering from dehydration. I also got to share the Gospel with a UN soldier from Texas. It the mist of all of this their is still much beauty here and it is found in the Haitian people. They are so appreciative of all we do. All they could pay us with was their hugs and many were given. The smiles were bonuses. Serving under His Grace. Jane
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Jane - we continue to pray for all of you there in Haiti. Our Salem team got together to share pictures and stories...I asked my wife Jan to make beans and rice! But we didn't have any pickling!
God bless you and Bud...for us it was a brief moment, for you Haiti is your life!
For His Kingdom,
Lloyd Lowry
Post a Comment