Sunday, September 23, 2012

Frist Sunday in Church

Praise God a dear friend of our Louis loaned us a car to go to church and use for a while.  Right after he did that another friend Pastor Gary came and told us his car was ours when we need it till we can find transportation.  What a blessing.
 We attended church at Zion and today was a very special day.  Pastor Franzy ( believe this is how it is spelled) was ordained as the Hospitality Pastor of Zion.  He will be working with families under Pastor James and Pastor Migueloson.  There  were over 100 people crammed into that little church and it was hot but a very meaningful  service.  I met with the Pastors earlier in the week to see where we can be a help in the church to advance the vision they have for their community and school.  One of the things I will be doing is teaching English to the congregation and working in the school. This year they are taking on kindergarten and Pastor James feels the school will have 80 children this year.  Having English offered in the school will make this christian school more attractive.  There are new challenges now that there is free education here in Haiti.  I can not believe it is here but one of the Pastors told me he checked and it is so.  This will hurt the Christian schools here and it will take more to get parents to invest in a Christian education for their children. In a land where Satan is attacking from all directions, children need this type of everyday discipleship in their lives. 
Next week we will have inscription for English Classes that I will be teaching along with Pastor John Alex in Cap Haitian.  We will be teaching four days a week for 2 hours a day using Christian materials.
Yesterday we finally got rain and it came down in buckets.  It made sleeping so much easier.  A friend of ours who is a master gardener came and they began the process of planting a garden for us to share.  God sent the rain to water it. 
Bud and I were so deeply touched by a man who is very ill and up in years.  He was a watchman for OMS until he became ill.  He was our favorite.  We were so touched when we saw him standing at our gate.  The walk up this road is tough on Bud and I because we are on the side of the mountain but up he walked just to greet us and bring us fruit.  He also wanted to make sure we were in a safe place. Others brought more fruit throughout the day.
Gifts keep coming but Bud and I do not understand why these people use what little they have to make us feel welcome.  We are so humbled by all of this. 
Monday Bud meets with a man to talk about working with him on trucks. In the afternoon we will be attending a funeral for Edric's mother who died suddenly. 
In the afternoons I try to spend time with some of the workers here trying to get to know them and perhaps it will give me an opportunity to share with them about my faith and what Jesus has for them. We have so many neighbors around us and I have been praying about how I should approach them and how do I share with them in a safe way.  In church today I kept thinking about how I should be sharing the Gospel with my neighbors and how I could do it with my limited creole which gets stronger everyday.  It has to because everyone one around us only speaks creole now. Bud and I both feel at peace and that we are where God wants us to be.  It is a very different way of living then what we had at OMS but we seem to fit right in.  There is no safer place to be than where God puts you.

No comments: