Monday, April 21, 2014

Looking back over the past month

April 5
The time has been flying right along over the past month. We housed a couple of friends of ours from Hamilton, Ont. CA for a week. It was great to catch-up on things going on both here and back in Canada.
The Davis’s and Vero were out for two weeks to a mission’s conference in Alabama, Savannah’s adoptive mother was here caring and getting acquainted with her while they were out.

Last Friday, Maurice the manager and construction leader out at the Empower Global Property finished up his three year commitment and returned back to Canada. Jane & I are looking in on the property and overseeing the Haitian security employees there until they can arrange for a full time property manager, probably this fall when they expect to start full time schooling.

Over the past 4 ½ years we seem to be tag teaming with Sam & Cammy Aberly. They were with OMS and were just finishing up their year here just as we were arriving back in September 09, overlapping by one month with them leaving in Oct. Sam passed on the job of completing the Emmaus Biblical Seminary to me which was completed and dedicated the day before the earthquake in Jan. 2010. They returned in April 2012 just a month before Jane & I flew out after resigning from OMS in March. They lent us their van to move much of our belongings from Fla. home then back again in Aug. as independent missionaries. They are now scheduled to leave on Tuesday April 8th after finishing up their two year commitment with EBS. We really haven’t kept in close contact but I see or call Sam often on work related items. It will seem different for them to be gone again, we will miss them.

A week ago Tuesday we found out that our landlord had suffered a serious stroke. We found out that he was in need of being transported to the Dominican Republic for further care but an ambulance was not available. They had a Haitian driver lined up to drive them in their car but at that time he did not have a visa to cross the border. Jane volunteered to drive the Dominican leg of the trip so at 4:30 pm we headed out of Cap-Haitian. Three followed in our car and made the 40 mile trip to the border by 6pm. Jane took over driving while I returned with a nurse, chauffeur, and security man. We got home at 8pm while Jane finally made the hospital in Santiago by 9:30. She returned back home by bus on Thursday evening. Surprisingly Sammy who always wants grand-ma at bed time and during the night slept with me all night with no problems. Our landlord continues to be hospitalized in the DR with slow progress.

Ever since we moved into our small house we have wanted a sun shade and some way to screen in our patio from the never ending bugs and mosquitoes. We finally had our large [dirty] tree taken down that grew thru the middle of our patio. Now with no shade it was time to make plans for the sunshade. I was able to build a support structure out of scraps of 2 x 2 steel tubing and cover them with metal roofing. We had a mason build up a wall about 20 inches around the perimeter, a carpenter built wood screen frames then Juslain and I attached insect screening to make a large comfortable screened in patio. Justlain and Noname really enjoy sitting in the dark, bug free while they watch over the (security lighted) yard in the evenings. Our house is small and this also gives us a place for teams that come to see us to sit and meet or just hangout.

Fast forward, April 21

These past weeks have whizzed by, we have been helping manage the Empower property. A team from Joy & Hope for Haiti from Hamilton, Ont. was here for a week working with Stella House Orphanage and meeting with many of their contacts.

About a month or so ago Jane discovered a rather large lump in her breast. She had a local mammogram with the results being that all was well. This last week after she talked  with many doctors from North America and also here in Haiti they are all advising her to return home for more tests. Our daughter was able to get her an appointment on May 23 so we changed our travel arrangements with Missionary Flights to May 13. Again while saying good-by to our Canadian friends on Friday they urged jane not to wait until the 23rd so on Saturday morning we were able to get Jane’s flight changed to Tuesday April 22. This was really putting the stress on, so much to get done in two days, who would watch Sammy ?? Arrangements for Potter’s house orphanage, Payroll for the Empower employees and many other things. By Saturday evening we had Jane’s domestic flight booked, Ft. Lauderdale hotel reservations, shuttle service lined up for the trip from Ft. Pierce to Ft. Lauderdale. The thing that was left, WHO would watch Sammy for the time that we are out??????? His regular nanny would be having her own baby next month and sure to be overwhelmed with two, and our friend Vero that watched him in our house last Christmas is watching Savannah also two years old during the same time. While at our sunrise church service yesterday morning a young lady volunteered to move into our house and watch Sammy but we don’t know her that well nor does Sammy. A missionary family in Port Margot offered to take him but there again he doesn’t know them nor they him. We looked at the possibility of one of his regular sitters moving in with him. Finally Jane called his regular nanny to see how she was doing and after her delivery when she might be up to caring for Sammy again exclaiming our situation. She said that she wants Sammy right away when I go out. She already has a lady lined up to help her with her new baby and that all would be fine. Sammy loves her and her family dearly. Sammy stayed with them over Christmas 2012 just after we got him. This was a HUGE answer to prayer. We are finding out now that Jane may be able to see some doctors maybe as early as Thursday or Friday coming. We have had such an outpouring of prayer and support from so many in just the last days.

Our Landlord did go to be with the Lord on Good Friday, the funeral will be this Thursday.

I will remain in Haiti until May 13 then driving our van North to be with Jane. God has worked out so many details in the past few days.

Thank-You for all of your prayers.

Bud has shared so much with you and we all know you are praying for us. I have had to end my English classes at school and the private classes I am doing till I return.  I believe someone else will take over my classes in the church. 

This past week we had a team in from Joy and Hope of Haiti, which Bud and I work with.  They were here for two reasons; to help Stella house orphanage which they fund and to meet with teachers of schools they built to see how to help them be better teachers.

Stella House is dealing with the same problem many orphanages have.  How do you transition the children out of the orphanage when they have finished school?  I am part of this process. This is a something that needs a lot of prayer and planning. 

The teachers in our Christian Schools need consistent training to help raise the quality of our schools.  Building the building is only the first step.  Sustaining the schools is the biggest problem.  After this week of meetings I feel so positive as to the future of these 10 school. Joy and Hope of Haiti has also offered to help another mission with their teachers as well.

This past week a 7 year old girl came to a clinic this group also helped to sponsor.  She has a heart condition that will take her life in a matter of months.  As the team prayed over her the situation seems hopeless but a couple of phone calls to some government official who Joy and Hope and I have worked with in the past and the child is on her way to the Dominican soon.

But the most exciting thing is the mother and the girl’s father came to church on Easter Sunday and accepted Jesus.  Praise the Lord.  They also asked to be married in the next week.  Isn’t this what it is all about.

Bud has been so busy fixing things for it seems everyone.  Right now he is helping to set up a generator in an orphanage.  Our transmission is failing in our car so he will be removing it and flying out with it in 3 weeks for repairs in Florida, another matter for prayer.

The orphanage is enjoying additional beds now that we have room for each child to have their own thanks to a fund raiser held in Minnesota. The Lord continues to meet our financial needs there as well. We received some financial gifts that helped us cover the last two months and next month as well. Thank you to you all.

One of the children in my school, twelve years old, went to be with Jesus this past week after only being sick a couple of days.  I was so please to hear that she had accepted Jesus as her Savior 10 days prior.  I am so grateful to our Godly teachers who teach His Word.

This past Sunday Juslain and his wife were baptized in our church. I remember when we asked him to go to church with us and how excited he was when we gave him his first Bible.  He has grown so much in the Lord.

Sammy’s adoption has met another snag so continue to pray with us on this. Some paperwork is being held up and we need it to pass quickly.

God bless you all.


No comments: